Treatment begins with a formal 75-90 minute consultation session, which is followed by feedback and recommendations for treatment. Subsequent therapy sessions are 45-50 minutes. At the beginning of therapy, I will help you clarify realistic goals for therapy and develop an individually tailored approach to help you meet those goals.
Psychotherapy involves an exploration of your thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and interpersonal relationships so that you can better, increase self-awareness and insight, and develop sound tools for coping more effectively in your life.
My treatment approach is evidence-based, meaning I draws on approaches that have been researched and shown to be effective. I integrate across several different approaches, including:
- Emotion-Focused Therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness-based approaches
- Dialectical-behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
During our phone consultation we can discuss fees and payment arrangements. I often help clients use their “out of network” insurance benefits to obtain reimbursement for services. Most plans cover a substantial portion of therapy costs (ranging from 50-100%).
Utilizing “Out of Network Insurance”
If you plan to use insurance benefits to help with the cost of therapy you will want to obtain some information related to your benefits before starting therapy. This will help you determine how much of the cost you will incur yourself. Call your insurance company and ask the following questions to get started:
- Does my plan cover counseling sessions?
- Does my plan cover only individual counseling sessions or will it also cover family or couples counseling?
- Does my plan cover services to out-of network mental health providers?
- What is the deductible I have to meet before coverage to an out of network provider kicks in?
- What percentage of treatment do I pay when seeing an out-of-network mental health provider?
- Is there a maximum amount per session the insurance will cover for an out-of-network provider?
- How much time do I have to file a claim for out-of-network services?
- What is the process to get reimbursed for out-of-network services?
- Are there any limitations to my services (i.e. certain number of sessions allowed, certain amount of money allotted for reimbursement, reimbursement for only certain diagnoses?